Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
One of my favourite fall soups and invariably a source of comfort!
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 1 medium cooking onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and cubed
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 Golden Delicious apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cumin
- Pinch ground coriander
- 1/4 cup heavy (35–40%) cream (optional)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then sauté the onions until softened, but not browned. Add the garlic, and then the squash and carrots, and cook until soft (about 10 minutes). Add the apples, then the stock and water, and then the salt, pepper, nutmeg, cumin, and coriander. Mix everything together to combine.
Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Add the cream (if using) and warm the soup through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.